Wednesday 5 September 2012

Shoes are a girl's best friend....


"When I feel bad I like to treat myself. Clothes never look any good... food just makes me fatter... shoes always fit." - In Her Shoes



This little snippet sums me up to the letter.

As a girl that has always has a hate relationship with clothes, with the closest to liking them being looking at thin hotties wearing clothes I could only dream of; and having an even worse one with food, shoes have been my saving grace.

The obsession with heels started back in Year 10. I found the most gorgeous hot fuschia pair at the local Vinnies store for 50c, and wore them into the ground, literally......and the affair began.

Fast forward a few years to uni, and I was the girl that my friends would come to to borrow shoes from. As a stock standard size 8, the bottom of my wardrobe was a wonderland for every dinner, function and ball.

I'm always on the hunt for the perfect boot (which I found the other day on ASOS, it's love), the sexy heel, the casual heel, the vavavoom heel.....and managed to find them. On a single trip away to Newcastle, I bought 6 paris of heels, me victorious, and my friend raising her eyebrow at me and setting a mental note to book me into the next shoe obsession anonymous meeting.

As any heel loving woman will tell you, they have a certain power. You stand up straighter, your legs look better, you feel like you can take on the world. Team them with a red lip, and well.....enough said....

My weight has always fluctuated, up, down, up, down....most of the time clothes looked crap, or so the maniac inside me felt/saw. But those lovely, lovely, many pairs of stacked, leather, bright, stiletto, block, buckled pairs of 9cm self confidence were always there for me. To pick me up off the floor when every dress, skirt or pant looked like shit. Whispering "put me on, I promise I'll fit". And they never lied, they always did. More reliable than any man, more honest than any friend, they never, ever lied. 

The obsession will never stop, and I don't want it to. My shoes are as much as a part of my makeup as my crazy red hair. Materialistic, possibly.  Self-indulgent, maybe. Essential to my confidence, absolutely.

That little spring in my step. The slight awakening of a sideways sultry glance. The hip sway. They bring out my vixen. No matter how much weight I lose, my dear shoes, you will be at the top of my list. Thankyou for always fitting. 

Em xx

No comments:

Post a Comment